Weight loss program for pets
The Ark weight loss program
At the Ark we are dedicated to caring gently for for pets of all different shapes and sizes with expertise and kindness. Unfortunately we lately see a lot of overweight animals. Overweight or obese pets can develop many medical problems such as, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis, insulin resistance, increased surgical risk, liver and pancreatic disease, increased risk of some cancers, reduced quality of life and most alarmingly, a reduced life span.
We know how difficult it can be to help your pet lose weight.To help you and your pet get started on a weight loss journey we have implemented a Weight Loss Program which we will tailor for your pet to help you achieve weight loss success. The first consult is free, and entry to the program gives you access to regular nurse checkups, weigh ins, tracking of your pet’s weight loss journey, a wealth of information and guidance on pet weight loss and special food deals and rewards for reaching target weights.
Pets over weight & obesitas
Studies have shown that about 41% of Australian dogs and 32% of Australia cats are classed as over-weight or obese by veterinarians. These are rather alarming figures considering obesity is associated with many medical problems such as, osteoarthritis, cardiovascular disease, insulin resistance, liver and pancreatic disease, increased surgical risk, increased risk of some cancers, reduced quality of life and most alarmingly, a reduced life span. In addition, obesity is now recognized as the leading form of malnutrition in pets. Yes, that is right ‘malnutrition’. We know that all pet owners absolutely love their furry friends but often it is this unconditional love that results in overweight pets. Most dogs and cats do not go out and get their own food, so it is owners that are failing their pets in this area. The fact of the matter is that overfeeding your pet is just as cruel as underfeeding them, hence why the term malnutrition is used.
How will the weight loss program help your pet?
- REDUCE YOUR PET’S ACHES AND PAINS AND HELP YOUR PET REGAIN FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT.
- RE-ENERGIZE YOUR PET AND EXTEND THEIR ACTIVE YEARS!
- REDUCE THE CHANCE THAT YOUR PET DEVELOPS A DISEASE
- LOWER YOUR PETS BLOOD PRESSURE
- INCREASE THE QUALITY OF YOUR PET’S COAT AND SKIN
- MAKE SURE THAT YOUR PET HAS A HIGH IMMUNITY
Why the weight loss program?
It becomes clear why it is important for you and your pet to be treated professionally for obesity. By managing their weight it will mean less visits to the vet, and a more comfortable and longer life for your animal.
How do I know if my pet has a weight problem?
If you answer ” yes ” to any of the questions below, or if you think your pet is not at its optimum body condition, you may want to talk to your veterinary staff about a professional Weight Management program.
- Do you have difficulty feeling your pets ribs?
- Is there little or no ” waist “
- Do you give your pet table scraps or left overs?
- Is your pet reluctant to exercise?
- Does your pet seem to tire easily with activity?
- Does your pet waddle when it walks?
- Does your pet keep eating so long as there is food in the bowl?
- Have you been told your pet is overweight?
- Have you had to loosen your pets collar several times over the past year?